Senior Accounting Manager
• Assist with supervision and overseeing the day-to-day operation of the Finance Department. This includes accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivable and cash management, including ticketing and admissions. Provide backup support for all areas, including payroll.
• Prepare monthly financial statements, board reports, and attendance analysis.
• Monitor, maintain, and analyze accounting and related system reports for accuracy and completeness. Identify trends to increase efficiency and develop cost saving recommendations. Monitor cash flow, cash controls, reconcile accounts and analyze trends.
• Document, analyze and review revenue and expenses related to all restricted funds, contracts and grants. Support all grant reporting requirements.
• Develop and enhance existing systems in support of the Zoo’s next capital campaign. Work closely with the Development office to account for all pledges, receipts and financial reports.
• Research, evaluate, develop and recommend general financial/accounting policies as needed and monitor adherence to existing policies and internal controls related to the financial management of the Zoo. Manage the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner.
• Provide assistance with the Zoo’s annual internal audit, retirement plan audit, and other special project audits. Provide information, documentation, and explanations, answer audit questions, review audit results, document and implement internal control revisions.
• Provide support with the management of property insurance, workers’ compensation insurance and other business insurance.
• Assist with the preparation of written reports for the board, banks, donors and the Allegheny Regional Asset District in compliance with their annual operating and capital support.
• Provide assistance in preparing the annual budget and the year-end process.
• Support conversion to Altru including writing business process policy revisions, general ledger mapping and merchant services set up. Assist through implementation and troubleshoot ongoing issues.
• Respond to concerns and inquiries from employees, vendors, customers, donors, state and federal agencies, etc. related to accounting matters. Oversee the resolution of issues within policy guidelines.
• Work with IT and accounting software support personnel to continue to develop and implement business reporting tools for the dissemination of Zoo-wide fiscal information.
• Maintain all required standards of confidentiality and safety and keep work area in a clean and orderly manner.
• Work special events as needed and other duties and special projects as assigned.
Bachelor degree in Accounting with 3-5 years related experience. Candidate must possess excellent oral, written and analytical skills, supervision and management experience, and ability to plan, organize and prioritize. Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control with demonstrated experience in the accounting functional areas of the general ledger, accounts payable and payroll. Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections. Ability to work on multiple assignments of a project nature simultaneously. Required computer skills include use of Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint, Word and Advanced Excel, ADP payroll processing, fixed asset software and accounting software, Great Plains Dynamics experience preferred. Must have sound judgment, commitment to meeting deadlines, attention to detail and ability to support team efforts.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Typical office setting with a minimum 40-hour work week; weekends, evenings and holiday scheduling may be required.