Special Events Manager
Posting Date: October 4, 2012
Removal Date: Until Filled
Position Title: Manager of Special Events
Position Status: Full-time, Exempt
This position manages special Zoo events including setup, vendors and entertainment load-in, volunteer group activities, animal activities and the supervision of special events staff.
Responsibilities/ Duties :
- Creates ideas for new special events that will generate attendance and revenue;
- Researches, solicits and coordinates with vendors, groups and community organizations for events;
- Secures sponsors for special events
- Establishes and maintains contact with event sponsors to ensure successful long term relationships;
- Works with radio station for sponsorships and live remote opportunities;
- Works with Creative Services to develop signage and printed materials/fliers.
- Works with grounds and maintenance department to set up, clean up and arrange for electrical needs.
- Coordinates with IT department to develop on-line ticketing for special events;
- Runs related reports for special events for distribution to gates, catering and seating charts;
- Communicates special events schedule to appropriate department through weekly special events meeting.
- Work with Docents to secure live animals visit for special events, and develops and coordinates animal enrichment activities with keeper staff.
- Hire and supervise special events staff,
- Verifies and submits for approval staff payroll in the EZLabor system.
- Develops annual budget and meets income and expense line items;
- Determine expenditures and grow income of department.
- Updates the website special events section.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field along with a minimum of 3 – 5 years’ experience in special events, planning and execution or a related field; a background in sales and negotiations is preferred.
Manual dexterity is required to operate office machinery as well as proficiency in Microsoft Office software. Position is primarily sedentary in an office setting, but includes working in the park with exposure to all types of weather conditions. Must be able to work evenings, weekends and holidays.